Juli Kusznir is a post-doctoral research fellow at Jacobs University Bremen. Her research focuses on (a) national and EU energy policy in the field of gas, renewables and electricity, including network regulation, governance structures and market design, (b) energy security of supply and its impact on the politics of the EU and supplier countries, and (c) sustainable energy transition and environmental politics. She received her doctorate in 2007 from the University of Bremen. She has held posts at the Research Centre for East European Studies, University of Bremen, the Department of Comparative Political Studies in the University of Regensburg, and Jacobs University Bremen and was a visiting research fellow at NUPI in Norway.
|Since Mar. 2019||Postdoctoral Fellow, Jacobs University Bremen|
|Sep. 2018 – Dec. 2018||Scientific Fellow, Jacobs University Bremen|
|Mar. 2012 – June 2016||Postdoctoral Fellow, Jacobs University Bremen|
|Sep. 2011 – Dec. 2011||External Fellow, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, Oslo|
|Dec. 2008 – Aug. 2011||Lecturer, University of Regensburg|
|Jul 2006 – Sep. 2008||Research Assistant, The Research Center for East European Studies, University of Bremen|
|Jan 2003 – July 2005||Project Assistant, The Research Center for East European Studies, University of Bremen|
|Jan. 2003 – May 2007||PhD in Social Science at the University of Bremen|
|Sep. 1994 – June 1999||Magister in International Relations at the University of Warsaw|
|Sep. 2011 – Dec. 2011||Personal mobility grant from the E.ON Ruhrgas program for economics and business administration, law and political science (IS-RUHR)|
|Feb. 2010 – Mar. 2010||Personal grant from the Yggdrasil mobility program, Research Council of Norway|
|Jan. 2003 – Dec. 2006||Personal grant from the Förderungsprogramm, University of Bremen|
Other Experiences and Activities
- Acquisition of third-party funding (participation in research project applications)
- Coordination of academic partnerships
- Organizing conferences and workshops
- Presentations on international academic conferences and workshops
- Referee for several peer -reviewed academic journals
- Supporting the editors of the Research Centre’s Analytical Digests
- Academic consultancy work for companies
- Energy security and energy transition: Securitisation in the electricity sector, in: Szulecki, Kacper (Ed.) Energy Security in Europe. Divergent Perceptions and Policy Challenges, Palgrave Macmillan, 2018, pp. 117-148 (together with Kacper Szulecki).
- Towards a common EU Energy Policy? Debates on Energy Security in Poland and Germany. ESPRi Policy Paper, 2/ 2016 (together with Heinrich A., Lis, A., Pleines, H., Smith Stegen, K., and Szulecki) .
- Gazproms neue Strategie für Europa, in: Russlandanalysen, 303/2015, pp.5-8.
- Outcomes and strategies in the ‘New Great Game’: China and the Caspian states emerge as winners, in: Journal of Eurasian Studies, special issue Pleines H. and Heinrich A. (Eds.): The Political Economy of the Caspian Oil and Gas States,Nr. 2/2015, pp.91-106 (together with Karen Smith Stegen)
- The Southern Gas Corridor: Initiated by the EU, Completed by Others? TANAP, TAP, and the Redirection of the South Stream Pipeline, in: Caucasus Analytical Digest, 69/2015, pp. 6-10.
- The Transatlantic Energy Relationship: A View from Washington in: Journal of Transatlantic Studies, 4/ 2012, pp. 313-327 (together with Karen Smith Stegen).
- TAP, Nabucco West, and South Stream: The Pipeline Dilemma in the Caspian Sea Basin and Its Consequences for the Development of the Southern Gas Corridor, in: Caucasus Analytical Digest, 47/2012, pp. 2-7.
- The Nabucco Gas pipeline project and its Impact on EU energy policy in the South Caucasus, in: Caucasus Analytical Digest, 33/2011, pp. 9-13.
- The National Oil Elite and its Influence on Energy Policy in Kazakhstan, in: Heinrich, Andreas / Pleines, Heiko (Eds.): Challenges of the Caspian Resource Boom: Domestic Elites and Policy-Making, Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan 2012, pp.102-116.
- The Oil and Gas Industry and Regional Politics in Russia: Arranging the Distributions of Rents, in: Gawrich, Andrea, Franke Anja, Windwehr Jana (Eds.): Are Resources a Curse? Rentierism and Energy Policy in Post-Soviet States, Opladen: Verlag Barbara Budrich, 2010, pp. 51-70.
- Die Reform der russischen Elektrizitätswirtschaft, in: Russlandanalysen, 170/2008, pp.18-22 (together with Heiko Pleines).
- The Russian Refining Assets, in: Hydrocarbon Engineering, 9/2007, pp. 12-18 (together with Heiko Pleines).
- Der politische Einfluss von Wirtschaftseliten in russischen Regionen. Eine Analyse am Beispiel der Erdöl- und Erdgasindustrie, 1992-2005, Stuttgart: LIT Verlag 2007.